Nightfood is great straight out of the pint, but when you have a few minutes to spare try this new delicious recipe!
Brownies and ice cream are the ultimate indulgence when you’re pregnant (and beyond!). This brownie recipe has hidden fiber and protein from black beans that you wont even notice, but your health and your taste buds will certainly love. Unlike most brownie recipes, this one is also gluten free and is naturally sweetened with maple syrup. The end result is a dessert that will both satisfy your cravings and nourish your body and growing baby with a slew of important nutrients.
Time: 40-45 mins Serves: 9
For the brownies-
- 1.5 cups drained and rinsed black beans, from a 15oz can
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa or cacao powder
- ⅔ cup pure maple syrup
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp dark chocolate chips, divided
For the sundae-
- ⅔ cup “Cookies n dreams” Nightfood ice cream (or other favorite night food flavor) for each serving
- Optional toppings:
- Additional chocolate chips
- Whipped cream
- Crushed nuts
- Shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and lightly coat an 8 x 8 baking dish with cooking spray, or line with parchment paper.
- Place all the brownie ingredients except the chocolate chips and optional toppings into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. The batter will be thin.
- Stir in ¼ cup dark chocolate chips into the batter, then pour into the prepared bak
- Nightfood is great straight out of the pint, but when you have a few minutes to spare try this new delicious recipe! ing dish, then top with remaining 2 Tbsp of chocolate chips.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow brownies to cool for at least 10 minutes, then cut into 9 equal-sized squares.
- Serve 1 square of brownie with ⅔ cup of ice cream and any desired toppings. Enjoy!
Nutritional Information per serving:
Calories: 366;Total Fat: 16g; Protein: 13g; Carbohydrates: 51g; Sugars: 26g; Fiber: 11g; Sodium: 401mg
Joanna is a Registered Dietitian, health coach and freelance writer. She is also author of 2 cookbooks, The Gestational Diabetes Cookbook and Meal Plan and The Quick and Easy Gestational Diabetes Cookbook. She also operates a private practice at https://www.joannafoleynutrition.com/ where she focuses on nutrition and lifestyle counseling, helping clients find food freedom, and developing a healthier relationship with food.